My Mumbai Saga - Creating a new world

Having a place to go to, when in a faraway land, is the first step to building your own world. To make a home you need a house and get a house you need to house hunt.

Finding a place to live, in Mumbai is like trying to find oasis in a desert. If you love the place the rent will eat your salary. If you find an affordable place there are loads of other comforts you compromise on. They say marriage is a match made in heaven but no, housemates are a match made in heaven. You hand your life to destiny when you move in with other people. We learn the true meaning of adaptability and adjustments when you share your home with strangers. When it was time to move out of my temporary abode (which the ladies had made me come to love) I was just sure that I wanted be near my lovelies. Going through every classified and every portal that had advertisements for roommates I made long lists of people to contact. Each phone call was interesting and I met a lot of different types of people and saw various places where people lived. With a small budget not everything you find interesting can be yours. Realities of life are a little more, cruel than that. After a lot of searching, calculation and analysis I decided to move in with 2 other women. I think my planetary alignment was extremely favourable and matched theirs. So 2 years we had created a home to come back to. If you could sit in silence together and just know that you can be yourself, you know you live with the best people.  

Unfortunately though, I like all the other employed adults, spent more time in office than we did at home. So it became necessary to have comfort people at work as well. Of course my 4 ladies were around initially but work and life didn’t always let them be there. But through some past connections I met some wonderful people. A brother, a soul sister and a kind being. Talking to them opened up a greater awareness and gave me the much needed respite from the ghosts of office. They were the people through which I understood and connected to the new culture. New worlds are not just physical places they are also in thoughts of people. A brother who is so different from you that he would force you think in a space which you never knew existed (while he constantly bickered and argued of course). To balance it my soul sister and sanity plug who added fun to every thought. Giving everything a fair and tolerant thought the kind being made accepting myself easy. Office became a better place with these three people around.

There are many more who added sense to the seemingly pointless work we did. Each had their influence in enhancing my life in Mumbai and hence making me write #myMumbaiSaga

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mumbai Saga - The First Monsoon

Summer Rains

Musings on an Early Summer Evening